Re: Doc Needed: The Debian Way

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 03:57:15PM -0400, Mark Small wrote:
> something that Debian really needs to have is a short doc about the
> "debian way" of doing things.  What I'm thinking of is a short summary
> of the features that make debian different (better?) than the other
> dists out there.

a great idea IMHO
most people seem to have heard that Debian is superior to other distros but
there are two things which prevent them from moving to Debian:
 - hard installation procedure (though i find it easier than most distro's -
maybe with an exception for dselect which is really strange for a newbie)
 - lack of exact information what nice things there are in Debian

> (1) The debian menu system.
[...]
> (4) Every user has his/her own group

> I'm sure that there are lots of other debian specific things that I
> can't remember off the top of my head (or don't know about).  I'm no
> professional.  The only box that I admin is my home one.

hey, how could you forget about apt-get - the instant ultra-fast
ultra-convenient tool for upgrading (security fixes in minutes after they
are issued), installing, + dependencies

BTW: there was a discussion on Debian-user a month or two (or three?) ago
with subject "Why use Debian, why not RedHat" - it should contain all
possible feature notices

> (I'm not a developer, just a happy user)
just like me :)

regards,
Marcin

--