Re: Doc Needed: The Debian Way

Stephane Bortzmeyer schrieb/wrote/a écrit am/on Thu Nov 18, 1999 um 11:14:07AM:

> We need a text explaining:
>
> - everything under /usr/local is yours, leave the rest (except /etc) to dpkg,
> - use apt,
> - /etc/alternatives,
> - recompiling source packages,
> - the BTS,
> - etc

An great idea. A already thinked of something like that some weeks ago.
I imagined to put the whole info in a small X/ncurses-Tool like the
well known tip-of-the-day-box, good sorted and easy accessible, with
some search-boxes for dhelp, info, man etc.

A tool like that could be showed to users after to first installation,
after asking thim for this.

> Just explanations of the concepts, and directions to the man pages.

That's important too, the user could just be asked for the level of his
Linux experience:

1. Beginner (a quide to man/info-pages etc. should be presented to him as first).
2. Debian-beginner, comming from other distribution (Debian-typical things)
3. Debian-User, coming from older distribution (significant changes etc.)

> Now, the tough question: who will write and maintain it?

A good question...

Greetings,
Eduard.
--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source