Re: Package Release Management using CVS vendor tracking.

On Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 03:39:20AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Karl" == Karl M Hegbloom <karlheg@cathcart.sysc.pdx.edu> writes:
>
>  Karl>  I've begun to do some research into package release management
>  Karl>  using CVS vendor tracking, and am planning to write down what
>  Karl>  I learn.  The document could become part of the Debian
>  Karl>  manuals, if it turns out to be readable and useful.
>
>         Have you looked at cvs-buildpackage? There is a howto that
>  comes with that package.

Karl should also consider joining the debian-snapshots list, which is
unfortunately very silent currently.

(Karl, integrating the possibilities of snpashot deb packages from CVS in
you rgeneric Makefiles would be a Good Thing (TM) and much appreciated by
many people, like the gnome packagers).

>         I must confess to being confused. What exactly is unclear
>  about the vendor branch and tracking upstream sourece using CVS? I
>  must be missing something.

I always had trouble with big packages under heavy development, where files
and directories have been deleted and/or added. I ended up with a CVS repository
that didn't match the tar file whatever I did.

Unfortunately, I am not that experienced with CVS and never found the time
to investigate this proper, and this may have happened only because I am
confused about how thinks are supposed to work. Next time I encounter this,
I will probably check into it. (From memory, I did use cvs-upgrade and the
cvs update -d command as printed on the screen. I just see that there is a
new cvs-co.upgrade script that may solve my problems.)

Thanks,
Marcus