Re: The DDP and the LDP

Jor-el <jorel@marvin.megadodo.umb> writes:

> 	What is the relationship, if any between the Debian Documentation
> project and the Linux Documentation Project? I know that the DDP handles
> Debian specific documentation, but sometimes there is nothing Debian
> specific to document about.

What does this mean?

> Is there a formal link between the two projects?

No, but there should be more cooperation.

> 	Admittedly, having the want-to-be maintainers contact the LDP
> would be the right thing to do. But Debian seems to have a lot more people
> wanting to join it than the LDP, so maybe, we should because we could.

I encourage people to contribute to the LDP.  I read their mail lists
every now and then -- they don't have our infrastructure yet but they
were working on it (moving to standardized free licensing, CVS, etc.)

As for formal relationship, there only needs to be good blood and good
cooperation between the two groups.

This is my firm belief:

  * Debian documentation should be *only* about matters Debian!

  * Any generic documentation should be handled by the LDP

  * Debian "bits" of LDP documentation could be contributed by us to
    the LDP, but in no circumstances should we fork, or divert
    documentation into "competing" efforts.