Re: Notes for DDP writers

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 05:34:01PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> >> * deciding which documents ought to be available as a Debian
> >> package, and then posting this list on debian-doc so people can
> >> step up and package them
>
> jr> I'll go inspect the full list of documents, and send my proposed
> jr> list here on debian-doc, okay?
>
> Yup.

Apparently, I did it before I replied (am replying) to this message :)
Would you be so kind to put me in CC: or To: when replying, so that I
can notice the message faster? I probably missed more of your replies
to my messages except this one... thanks.

> jr> Ah, yes, I haven't even considered the debiandoc2text tool...  I
> jr> guess we could do the text versions. But where to put them, in the
> jr> same directory as the HTMLs or some different? And that also means
> jr> that I'll need to modify all the Makefile-s and insert a new rule
> jr> for building the text version.

Now that I think of it, the modification of all Makefiles isn't a
neccessity at all - I can make my own custom makefile just for that.
Since we don't add new subdirs in DDP tree every day :) there's no
problem with that.

> I like putting them in the same dir.  With content negotiation,
> browsers that don't understand HTML (??! are there any?) will get the
> ASCII version.  Take a look at how I serve up multiple formats at
> http://www.debian.org/releases/2.1/ .
>
> Also, you can put multiple language versions in one dir, and language
> content negotiation will sort that out.
>
> <aph@master:i386> pwd
> /debian/home/aph/www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386
> <aph@master:i386> ls -l install.*
> -rw-r--r--   1 aph      debwww      10128 Mar  9 23:55 install.en.html
> -rw-r--r--   1 aph      debwww     257082 Mar  9 23:56 install.en.pdf
> -rw-r--r--   1 aph      debwww     144685 Mar  9 23:55 install.en.txt
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 aph      debwww         15 Mar  1 21:59 install.html -> install.en.html

This particular symlink isn't needed, BTW...

> lrwxrwxrwx   1 aph      debwww         14 Feb 26 05:38 install.pdf -> install.en.pdf
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 aph      debwww         14 Feb 26 05:38 install.txt -> install.en.txt

... but that is about the same with what I had in mind.
I'll have time in the next few days, and do something more with the
core problem - the documents.

> Again, if you kinda get the skeletal structure worked out, I can
> manage all these apache niceties.

Okay.

> Of course, each manual should get it's own dir.

Definitely.