Re: Notes for DDP writers

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 05:55:56PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Josip, are you willing to step up and help me take care of this?  I
> would like someone basically to handle the Makefiles for the
> installation of the DDP materials into the www.debian.org website.
>
> James Treacy has been kind enough to give me access to the
> www.debian.org areas on master, *and* to the WebML CVS archives.
>
> Using WebML (and, basically, embedded Perl) I can really easily
> dynamically look for what manuals are installed, insert their title
> (from the SGML file), and even the last modified date.  So I don't
> think we need to manually maintain the index file (like we do with the
> DDP pages).
>
> What I'd like from you is to deal with:
>
>   * deciding which documents ought to be available as a Debian
>     package, and then posting this list on debian-doc so people can
>     step up and package them

I'll go inspect the full list of documents, and send my proposed
list here on debian-doc, okay?

>   * decide which documents ought to be published via the 'make
>     PREFIX=/org/www.debian.org/debian.org/doc/manuals' (or whatever)
>     in manuals.sgml method to the web site; you can make a Make
>     variable like SUBDIRS and set that to your publishable subset

Ok. I did a test make to /tmp/joy-temp/ directory, and the output
seems fine. I'll have to visit the lists archives to check does
it comply with the layout we agreed on.

BTW the variable is not $PREFIX but $PUBLISHDIR, which caused me
a lot ot 'Permission denied' messages on the first try :)

>   * decide any remaining issue about the paths of the HTML (and
>     ASCII?) output of the files

Ah, yes, I haven't even considered the debiandoc2text tool...
I guess we could do the text versions. But where to put them,
in the same directory as the HTMLs or some different? And that
also means that I'll need to modify all the Makefile-s and insert
a new rule for building the text version.

> At this point I'd like to check over your work, and then we can
> install the stuff into the official site.  I think James would be
> happy to give you write access to the proper subdir in
> /org/www.debian.org/debian.org on master.
>
> Can you step up to this?  I really don't have the time.

I've got time, it's just that my bandwidth to va is expensive. I'll manage.

Expect more comments on this subject from me soon.