Re: Notes for DDP writers
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Notes for DDP writers
- From: Adam Di Carlo <email@example.com>
- Date: 15 Mar 1999 17:34:01 -0500
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: Josip Rodin's message of "Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:06:16 +0100"
- References: <19990215160715.A29678@cibalia.gkvk.hr> <19990215110615.V9883@debian.org> <19990215175813.A32681@cibalia.gkvk.hr> <19990215130040.X9883@debian.org> <19990215201129.A4114@cibalia.gkvk.hr> <email@example.com> <19990216123627.A28663@cibalia.gkvk.hr> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <19990217184514.A14943@cibalia.gkvk.hr> <email@example.com> <19990311110616.B5951@cibalia.gkvk.hr>
>>>>> "jr" == Josip Rodin <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
jr> On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 05:55:56PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>> * deciding which documents ought to be available as a Debian
>> package, and then posting this list on debian-doc so people can
>> step up and package them
jr> I'll go inspect the full list of documents, and send my proposed
jr> list here on debian-doc, okay?
jr> BTW the variable is not $PREFIX but $PUBLISHDIR, which caused me a
jr> lot ot 'Permission denied' messages on the first try :)
>> * decide any remaining issue about the paths of the HTML (and
>> ASCII?) output of the files
jr> Ah, yes, I haven't even considered the debiandoc2text tool... I
jr> guess we could do the text versions. But where to put them, in the
jr> same directory as the HTMLs or some different? And that also means
jr> that I'll need to modify all the Makefile-s and insert a new rule
jr> for building the text version.
I like putting them in the same dir. With content negotiation,
browsers that don't understand HTML (??! are there any?) will get the
ASCII version. Take a look at how I serve up multiple formats at
Also, you can put multiple language versions in one dir, and language
content negotiation will sort that out.
<aph@master:i386> ls -l install.*
-rw-r--r-- 1 aph debwww 10128 Mar 9 23:55 install.en.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 aph debwww 257082 Mar 9 23:56 install.en.pdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 aph debwww 144685 Mar 9 23:55 install.en.txt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aph debwww 15 Mar 1 21:59 install.html -> install.en.html
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aph debwww 14 Feb 26 05:38 install.pdf -> install.en.pdf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 aph debwww 14 Feb 26 05:38 install.txt -> install.en.txt
Again, if you kinda get the skeletal structure worked out, I can
manage all these apache niceties.
Of course, each manual should get it's own dir.
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onShore.com.....<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>