Re: Notes for DDP writers

>>>>> "jr" == Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> writes:

jr> On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 05:55:56PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>> * deciding which documents ought to be available as a Debian
>> package, and then posting this list on debian-doc so people can
>> step up and package them

jr> I'll go inspect the full list of documents, and send my proposed
jr> list here on debian-doc, okay?

Yup.

jr> BTW the variable is not $PREFIX but $PUBLISHDIR, which caused me a
jr> lot ot 'Permission denied' messages on the first try :)

Doh, sorry.

>> * decide any remaining issue about the paths of the HTML (and
>> ASCII?) output of the files

jr> Ah, yes, I haven't even considered the debiandoc2text tool...  I
jr> guess we could do the text versions. But where to put them, in the
jr> same directory as the HTMLs or some different? And that also means
jr> that I'll need to modify all the Makefile-s and insert a new rule
jr> for building the text version.

I like putting them in the same dir.  With content negotiation,
browsers that don't understand HTML (??! are there any?) will get the
ASCII version.  Take a look at how I serve up multiple formats at
http://www.debian.org/releases/2.1/ .

Also, you can put multiple language versions in one dir, and language
content negotiation will sort that out.

<aph@master:i386> pwd
/debian/home/aph/www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386
<aph@master:i386> ls -l install.*
-rw-r--r--   1 aph      debwww      10128 Mar  9 23:55 install.en.html
-rw-r--r--   1 aph      debwww     257082 Mar  9 23:56 install.en.pdf
-rw-r--r--   1 aph      debwww     144685 Mar  9 23:55 install.en.txt
lrwxrwxrwx   1 aph      debwww         15 Mar  1 21:59 install.html -> install.en.html
lrwxrwxrwx   1 aph      debwww         14 Feb 26 05:38 install.pdf -> install.en.pdf
lrwxrwxrwx   1 aph      debwww         14 Feb 26 05:38 install.txt -> install.en.txt

Again, if you kinda get the skeletal structure worked out, I can
manage all these apache niceties.

Of course, each manual should get it's own dir.