Re: Notes for DDP writers

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999 23:11:37 +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi> said:
> On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 12:30:46AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>> PostScript is inherently resolution dependant and non-portable.  I
>> suggest PDF, which is smaller and more likely to be viewable by
>> all.

> Uh?  PostScript is a programming language that can express
> everything in a resolution-independent manner.

[Technical details about PostScript removed]

There's no need to cite to me all the details on PostScript and PDF
production.  I've been working with PostScript on the programmatic and
document-centric fronts since 1991.  I have programmed many a
PostScript page and debugged even more.

However, if you've even looked into dvips configuration, for instance,
you'll note that you have to select an output device in order to use
that tool to creat a PostScript file.  Same with all the Mac and
Windows tools.  In fact, which it's quite easy to write portable
PostScript that will look good on most any printer, the reality is
that PostScript is, by design, *device* *dependant*.  It varies from
both DVI and PDF in this respect, which are both device independant.

I'm not sure if PostScript level 3 incorporates the ability to be
device independant; I would expect so since I think it's a superset of
PDF and PostScript level 2.