Comments on Debian Tutorial, patches.

Hello,
Here are comments and patches to Debian Tutorial, created with diff.

By the way, is there a reason the Tutorial is not in DDP CVS?

63,64d62
< 	FIXME: Link to installation manual? Development version, and where
< 	it is supposed to be when it is complete.
73c71
<       <p>Please send comments about this manual to the Debian
---
298,306c296,301
< 	at your computer.  Most people find that reading a book
< 	without using the program isn't beneficial.  The best way to
< 	learn Unix and GNU/Linux is by using them.  Use GNU/Linux for
< 	everything you can.  Experiment.  Don't be afraid --- it's
< 	<em>possible</em> to mess things up, but you can always
< 	reinstall. Keep backups and have fun!
< 	Doing backups
< 	documented in Debian System Administrator's Manual, chapter
< 	Backup and Restore.
---
> 	  at your computer.  Most people find that reading a book
> 	  without using the program isn't beneficial.  The best way to
> 	  learn Unix and GNU/Linux is by using them.  Use GNU/Linux
> 	  for everything you can.  Experiment.  Don't be afraid ---
> 	  it's <em>possible</em> to mess things up, but you can always
> 	  reinstall. Keep backups and have fun!
362a358

662,663d657
< 	  Clarification: If You are in X, go to VC 1 with C-A-F1. To
< get back to X, press A-F7.
682c676,677
< 	  to turn the computer off when you're done with it
---
> 	  to turn the computer off when you're done with it.

690c685
< 	  </footnote>.
---
> 	  </footnote>
738,742d732
< 	can be read with a web browser, like <prgn>lynx</prgn> or
< 	<prgn>netscape</prgn> by pointing the browser to <url
< 	id="dwww" name="http://localhost/dwww/";>.
<
928c918,919
< 		  directory") and it cannot be renamed
---
> 		  directory") and it cannot be renamed.

941c932
< 		  </footnote>.
---
> 		  </footnote>
961c952
< 		  it a <em>pathname</em>. However, people will also refer
---
> 		  it a <em>path</em>. However, people will also refer
1026,1027d1016
1087,1088d1075
< 	    Most, but not all shells use the tilde character in this
< 	    way.
1225c1212
---
1252,1253d1238
< 	  FIXME: These terms should be added to the Debian
< 	  Dictionary.
1304c1289
< 	  <tt>chsh RET</tt>, supply a password when asked, and choose a
---
> 	  <tt>chsh RET</tt>, supply a password when asked, and chose a
1306,1308d1290
< 	  You can also try out a new shell with <prgn>exec <em>name of
< 	  login shell is not changed.
1479,1483c1461,1464
< 	but it is found in the Info help system rather than the man
< 	pages. To read it, type <tt>info bash</tt> (or use web browser
< 	to http://localhost/dwww if <package>dwww</package> is
< 	installed). See <ref id="docs-info"> for instructions on using
< 	the <tt>info</tt> program.
---
> 	  but it is found in the Info help system rather than the man
> 	  pages. To read it, type <tt>info bash</tt>. See <ref
> 	  id="docs-info"> for instructions on using the <tt>info</tt>
> 	  program.
1500,1501c1481
< 	    beep. Pressing <tt>TAB</tt> after the beep shows all
< possible completions. You can then enter enough of the word to make it
---
> 	    beep. You can then enter enough of the word to make it
1506d1485
< 	FIXME: setting shell prompt.
1543,1547d1521
< 	    with a web browser from http://localhost/dwww.
<
1674,1676d1647
< 	  FIXME: There should be reference to instructions on how to
< use IRC, and perhaps a recommendation which of the many IRC programs
< in Debian to use.
1761,1762c1732
< 	<p> /var/log/*, dmesg, uname -a
< 	FIXME: this is incomplete.
---
1811,1813d1780
< FIXME: The PATH above has same directories twice, has "/home/hp/.bin"
< where the dot is wrong(?) and has current directory which may be
< risky.
1818,1819c1785
< 	  variables let you
---
> 	  system. For example, the <tt>EDITOR</tt> variable lets you
1924c1890,1891
< 	    their <em>parent process</em>.
---
> 	    their <em>parent process</em>.

2148c2115
< 	<p>FIXME: Stdin, stdout, pipelines, and redirection
---
2245,2246c2212
< 	commands <p>FIXME: "modifiers" like batch, at, nohup, nice,
< 	sleep
---
> 	commands <p>"modifiers" like batch, at, nohup, nice
2269,2270c2235
< ls /etc/rc0.d /etc/rc1.d /etc/rc2.d /etc/rc3.d \
< /etc/rc4.d /etc/rc5.d /etc/rc6.d /etc/rcS.d
---
> ls /etc/rc0.d /etc/rc1.d /etc/rc2.d /etc/rc3.d /etc/rc4.d /etc/rc5.d /etc/rc6.d /etc/rcS.d
2493c2458
< 	    (user, group, others) makes a total of 27 combinations.
---
> 	    (user, group, others) makes a total of nine combinations.
2867,2868c2832
< 	  for the X Window System (graphical version of GNU Midnight
< Commander, <tt>gmc</tt>).
---
> 	  for the X Window System.
3058c3022
< 	      adjacent on the home row of the keyboard, and thus
---
> 	      adjacent on on the home row of the keyboard, and thus
3069c3033
< 		    <tt>hjkl</tt> keys. If you try to move too far in
---
> 		    <tt>hjkl</tt> keys. If you try to move to far in
3231d3194
< 		Or refer to man or info page?
3460d3422
< 		FIXME: the \key{} things should be something else.
3474,3476d3435
< 	<p>FIXME: Refer to National HOWTO's, like Danish, Finnish,
< French, German etc.
<
3480c3439
< 	  these are hidden and out of your way while you do your
---
> 	  these are hidden and out of your way while you do you
3544,3546c3503
< 	FIXME: Setting shell prompt PS1, perhaps here or sooner in
< this document.
---
3572d3528
< 	  FIXME: Reference to section where VC's were explained.
3579,3580d3534
< 	  FIXME: Why recommended? I think it is risky, I only use xdm
< when I am very certain that everything is OK.
3681,3683d3634
< 	    FIXME: Not good to refer to specific stores, they are not
< relevant on the opposite side of the globe. At least use only stores
< that have Web page and can deliver all over the world.
3937c3888
< 	  string GNU, you type:
---
> 	  word GNU, you type:
4029,4030c3980
< FIXME: perhaps clarify when you list all the possible matches, and
< when only a sample.
---

4083,4084d4032
< 	Reference to System Administrator's Manual, chapter Backup and
< Restore.
4127,4129c4075
< 		FIXME: Why the ./ in the filename? It is not needed.
< 		<p>
---
4420a4367

4432c4379
< 		  most common on PC platforms. Your DOS/Windows <tt>C:\</tt> partition
---
> 		  most common. Your DOS/Windows <tt>C:\</tt> partition
4453a4401

4491,4492c4439
< 	    Debian. You'll need to be root to do this (unless
< <tt>/etc/fstab</tt> allows ordinary users to mount), so be careful;
---
> 	    Debian. You'll need to be root to do this, so be careful;
4509,4513c4456
< 		If the <tt>/cdrom</tt> directory existed, and was not
< empty, those files that were there will not be accessible while the CD
< is mounted there. They are there again when the CD is unmounted,
< however.</footnote>
---
> 		to make one using <tt>mkdir /cdrom</tt>.
4710,4712d4652
< groups, devices group owned by the corresponding group and group can
< read and write.
4733,4735d4672
<       <p>FIXME: Networking better in Network Administrator's
< Manual. Not possible to set it up without root permissions anyway.
<
4747,4748d4683
< 	<p>Not for ordinary users.
<
4764,4765c4699,4700
< 	  are deleted. However, if another program you still have on the
< 	  system also needs those files, you want to be sure you keep them.
---
> 	  are deleted. However, if a program you still have on the
> 	  system needs those files, you want to be sure you keep them.
4799c4734
< 	  getting both versions installed.
---
> 	  installing both versions at once.
5195c5130
< 	      put something into the pipe, and it comes out the other
---
> 	      put something into the file, and it comes out the other
5215,5217d5149
< 			You can check this with <tt>ls -l mypipe</tt>,
< it should show <tt>p</tt> in the first column to signify that the file
< is a FIFO.
5385,5390d5316
<
< 	<p>Copy a directory tree to another location:
< <example>
< cd directory1
< tar cf - . | ( cd /some/path/to/directory2 ; tar xpBf - )
< </example>
5400d5325
< 	FIXME: Is a Tutorial a good place for compiling kernel?
5441,5444d5365
< 	<p>FIXME: Yes, this would be useful. With 2500 applications it
< is not reasonable to examine them all with dselect to identify the
< ones you want.
<
5522,5523c5443
< 	drive (if boot order is set so in the BIOS).
< 	If it finds one, it looks for a "boot sector" on
---
> 	drive.  If it finds one, it looks for a "boot sector" on
5602d5521
< 	Or better yet, in System Administrator's manual.
5667,5669c5586
< 	  lower prices. Solaris 7 is available for the cost of media,
< shipping and handling for non-commercial use, see
< http://www.sun.com/solaris/freesolaris.html .
---
> 	  lower prices.
5735,5740c5652,5653
< 	    <item>Ian Jackson led Debian from January 1998 until
< February 1999.
<
< 	    <item>Wichert Akkerman was elected leader in February
< 1999.
<
---

--