Re: The How-to-get-started Manual (fwd)

Hi Lyno,

The "The How-to-get-started Manual" is about to be integrated into the
DebianDoc-SGML Manual for which I'm responsible, so I'll try to answer
some of your questions.  If you have more, just ask on the debian-doc
mailing list, since I don't have all the answers.

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:

> Would anyone care to take on this project?

Well, partly that would be me, but see below.

We don't have one (yet), but this probably is something for the to be
written Debian Documentation Project Policy (any volunteers yet?).

> . Issues of the copyright notice block, licensing (GPL, LGPL, etc.)

The same as above, but if it's DFSG compliant, it should be ok.

> . Designating authors and maintainers

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

> . Registering a new documentation product with Debian

I would say, just announce it on the debian-doc mailing list.
Oliver can help you with the technical stuff (CVS access, etc.).

> . Issues of citing sources, fair use, bibliographies

This should also be taken care of in the to be written policy, I guess.

> . How to make URL's pointing to other documentats that will persist when
> the document is distributed (relative vs. absolute links)
> . Placing local address tags inside a document, so other documents can
> point inside the document

There're no mechanism for these in place yet.  There's already a wish
list report to extend the DebianDoc-SGML DTD with such a mechanism.
Implementing this now could be done, but when the Debian MetaData is
ready it probably would have to be redone (at least partly).

Adam: Maybe we should look into all this.  I can see a growing need for
this mechanism.  If the probably needed reimplementation isn't that bad,
I would suggest we implement the wishlist as it is right now.

> . Relationship to LDP and related projects

IIRC, there have been some discussions on this, but nothing final so far.
The Debian Tutorial is partly based on the Linux User's Guide.

> . Netiquette for the debian-doc listserv, etc.

I would say the same as for the other debian mailing lists, if any.

> - --
> Copyright(c) 1998 Lyno Sullivan; this work is free and may be
> copied, modified and distributed under the GNU Library General
> Public License (LGPL) <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lgpl.html> and
> it comes with absolutely NO WARRANTY;  mailto:lls@freedomain.org
>

> ------- End of Forwarded Message

I hope this helps to clarify some things.

Thanks,
Ardo
--
Ardo van Rangelrooij