Re: translations of documentation

In article <[🔎] 19981115233922.B13463@debian.org>, "James A. Treacy" <treacy@debian.org> writes:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 09:16:25PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>> I think the requirements are:
>>
>> * ability to do basic versioning, i.e., translators know which
>> sections need to be retranslated (synopticism)

> CVS provides this as long as individual files aren't too long. If
> the files are too long translators need to waste a lot of time
> finding the areas that changes have been made.

Hmm.  Better solution is formenting in our collective minds... stay
tuned...

>> * ability to have 'non-translatable' sections, not needing
>> translation
>>
>> * ability to break out different languages in different files (?)

> For most of what we do (long stretches of prose), this is what is
> needed.

Definately, separate files is needed... given that translations may be
non-existant or at various states of disarray.

>> * ability to emit the different language versions of the document
>> into properly named files (i.e., index.html.de I think)
>>
> Please use the form index.de.html as it allows apache to
> automatically figure out the mime type of the file.

Yeah... this is the easiest issue to deal with.

One of my friends, who happens to know much more about SGML than I,
Craig Brozefsky, said that he would present here a little plan for how
we can take of all these issues using some nice interactions between
SGML and CVS and some architectural aspects of SP.  I've talked to him
about it tonight and we seem to have a basic idea which shouldn't be
too hard to implement.

In case it takes him a day or two to put it together, I wanted to make
sure you don't think we've forgotten this issue.