Re^10: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

Am 10.07.98 schrieb Marcus.Brinkmann # ruhr-uni-bochum.de ...

Moin Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de!

MB> You are wrong. /usr/share/doc comes *first* in the path, nearly
MB> all packages will be converted, ergo there is (nearly) no loss.

But it#s possible that we will have such a change of the path again.

MB> What both solutions do you mean here and why are they bad? Please be
MB> more specific.

Adams and my solution, both use the filename as identifier. If you move
the file, you break all links to the identifier.

MB> >   2.) I would like to add one URL twice. This is not possible with
MB> >       both solutions:
MB> >
MB> >          Identifier: www.debian.org
MB> >          Lang: en
MB> >
MB> >          Identifier: www.debian.org
MB> >          Lang: de
MB> Why shouldnt it be possible? The Identifier cant be unique, granted.

Because you will have recursive links. The second entries would have a
translation link to www.debian.org.

MB> ? The user is not allowed to change the search path. It will ever
MB> be /usr/share/doc:/usr/doc, nothing else. To specify other directories,
MB> one has to provide absolute locations.

I don#t think so. Maybe the user will install software in /usr/local or
/opt.

MB> Did he suggest it?

Yes, he did.

MB> new packages replace older versions. The package name is identical
MB> to the directory name in /usr/doc, you remember?

Sure? A lot of packages create several directories, LANG/de, lg, HOWTO,

MB> > ?? Where#s the difference URL <-> filename? There is no difference in
MB> > our discussion. And something like file://localhost/doc is not unique.
MB> > Dublin Core itself suggests to use the homepage URL and not a local
MB> > file: URL.
MB> I dont understand you at all. An URL is a protocol name + ":" +
MB> a location specification (host + path). Why is this not different
MB> from filenames?

Because you refer to a filename. If you use the local fs or the http
protocol is no real difference for our problems.

MB> And why is the file: specifier not unique?

It#s of course unique, but it will change if you change the directory.

MB> > And the usage of the homepage is a problem, too.
MB> ?

If you change the provider, all links are broken. That#s why people
talking about solutions like URN.

MB> I changed my opinion, maybe we dont need a unique identifier.

We need it for links.

cu, Marco

--
Uni: Budde@tu-harburg.de           Fido: 2:240/5202.15