Re: Re^8: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

On Thu, Jul 09, 1998 at 08:23:00PM +0100, Marco Budde wrote:
> Am 09.07.98 schrieb Marcus.Brinkmann # ruhr-uni-bochum.de ...
>
> MB> > Where#s the connection? Your URL points to the file on the local
> MB> > filesystem and not to the file on the system where the docreg file is
> MB> > installed. Ergo no solution.
> MB> >
> MB> > (Are you sure that your URL is correct? netscape uses file:/usr/local/?)
> MB> It is indeed valid. And, please, Marco: Make yourself informed about
> MB> identifiers, URLs and URNs before you participate further in this
> MB> discussion.
>
> I will do so, but file://localhost/ is no solution.

No solution for what problem, Marco? (Maybe I lost the track).

> MB> This is not at all. slow. It will start a bit slower and then will go back
> MB> to 100% as soon as all packages made the transition. And this is only for
>
> Wrong, we can#t assume that the user will use slink (for example) packages
> only. Some people need always old packages (see libc4 problem).

You are wrong. /usr/share/doc comes *first* in the path, nearly
all packages will be converted, ergo there is (nearly) no loss.
The second location has only to be searched when the first one
didnt gave any results. And it will not be 200% slower, because the
content of /usr/doc and /usr/share/doc will be cached by Linux.
(After first access). I dont think that performance is an issue here
at all (remember the quote from Knuth Adam posted in one of jis
last mails).

> MB> It is indeed nonsense. Please read my summarizing mail carefully. Think
> MB> about what an identifier is. Try to seperate absolute identifiers and
> MB> relative identifiers. They are not necessarily filenames, Marco.
>
> That#s right. But your proposal will use the path/filename as identifier,
> too. There#s no real difference between both solutions: both solutions are
> bad.

What both solutions do you mean here and why are they bad? Please be
more specific.

>   1.) The doc-linux-html maintainer has to move the HOWTO from
>       HOWTO/ to HOWTO/html. This will change your identifier, too.
>       With both solutions the links (doc-linux-{de,fr,..}) will be
>       broken.

Okay, this has something to do with crosslinked docreg entries,
an issue I didnt though of yet.

>   2.) I would like to add one URL twice. This is not possible with
>       both solutions:
>
>          Identifier: www.debian.org
>          Lang: en
>
>          Identifier: www.debian.org
>          Lang: de

Why shouldnt it be possible? The Identifier cant be unique, granted.

> MB> The point is that they are STILL unique, when we use the path
> MB> /usr/share/doc, /usr/doc,
>
> Again, the user may have several other directories and then they#re not
> unique!

? The user is not allowed to change the search path. It will ever
be /usr/share/doc:/usr/doc, nothing else. To specify other directories,
one has to provide absolute locations.

> This is a bad design. For example Adam suggested to search
> www.debian.org/doc, too. If the maintainer of www.debian.org installs
> the same packages like the local maintainer in an other version you will
> have a problem.

Did he suggest it? I never saw this suggestion and think it is a bad idea.

> Searching several directories is bad. The identifier should be unique (we
> should use a URL or filename!) and doc-base should know the right
> directory of the files.
It is unique if it is limited to /usr/share/doc and /usr/doc, as
new packages replace older versions. The package name is identical
to the directory name in /usr/doc, you remember?

You are right that these directories may never change, for example,
you cant add directories or so.

> ?? Where#s the difference URL <-> filename? There is no difference in our
> discussion. And something like file://localhost/doc is not unique. Dublin
> Core itself suggests to use the homepage URL and not a local file: URL.
I dont understand you at all. An URL is a protocol name + ":" +
a location specification (host + path). Why is this not different
from filenames? And why is the file: specifier not unique?

?

> We need a unique identifier, right.

I changed my opinion, maybe we dont need a unique identifier.
The issue how to crosslink docreg entries still remain, though.

Marcus