Re^4: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

Am 07.07.98 schrieb Marcus.Brinkmann # ruhr-uni-bochum.de ...

Moin Marcus!

MB> They are the orthogonal sorting criteria for documents *you* requested two
MB> months ago (you said you would want all howto's in a section. This can be
MB> done in a perfect and harmonical way via the "Type:" field. Doing it in
MB> the "Subject" field really is abuse. "howto" is not a subject, it is a
MB> type.)

Why should we have to tags with the same result for the user? And I will
be very difficult to choose the right type for most documents.

MB> > Nice argument :).
MB> I still don't think it is elegant to spread the files in hundreds of
MB> directories (and we have 1800 packages) --- in fact it is slower and not

Slower? Please have a look at a postinst file of a package that support
dhelp or read the dhelp documentation. Where#s the difference?

  dhelp_parse -a /usr/doc/foo/.docreg

  dhelp_parse -a /usr/share/doc-base/foo.docreg

And please try to search a directory with 1800 files!

MB> necessary at all. And we need a common directory for files that can't be
MB> associated witha special package anyway.

Example? Every entry is installed by a package and every package has got a
/usr/doc/<foo> directory. I don#t understand this argument.

MB> What were your technical objections?

Read other mail.

cu, Marco

--