Re: DDP webpages now at www.debian.org

Adam P. Harris wrote:
  >"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
  >> I have set up the CVS tree and submitted the manuals and webpages under
  >> it.  It should be available as /cvs/debian-doc on the CVS pserver.
  >> However, I have not yet managed to connect to it by that means :-(

I have now

  >No, well, usually pserver is only used for anonymous access.

Hmm.  The impression I got from jason was that pserver is the normal
access method.  However, this is the first time I've used remote CVS, so
I don't claim any expertise.

  >Generally, people want to user client/server with CVS_RSH set to ssh,
  >using :ext:.  I've written up documentation for this for the metadata
  >spec also, I'll emit another build of that and point you to it.

I will take a look when you do...

  >> At the moment, files in the repository are writable only by me, while
  >> I find out how to manage permissions.  I would like all regular contributo
      >rs
  >> to the DDP to have write access, so please let me know who you are and
  >> what you are working on.
  >
  >I don't understand quite what you're doing here.  Suppose I adopt
  >(which I'm thinking of doing) developers-reference package
  >(http://www.debian.org/~elphick/ddp/manuals.html#devref).  Well I
  >always build my packages out of CVS.  So do I have some files as under
  >cvs.debian.org:/debian-doc and some locally?  Do I only use
  >cvs.debian.org:/debian-doc?  Would it be ok to have the debian subdir
  >there, and all the other, non-DDP related materials (control files,
  >etc.)?

I certainly don't want to duplicate either files or effort.  If you
already have a CVS repository containing a manual, the manual text ought
to be built from there.  The debian-doc repository can be used if that
is more convenient.

  >How are you planning to enforce common structure w.r.t. building HTML
  >etc from SGML?  Have you considered my makefile suggestion?

I thought your suggestion was excellent.  Once I can get cvs access sorted
out, I should be very grateful if you would implement it!  I do want to be
a co-ordinator rather than write everything myself, after all!