Re: DDP webpages now at www.debian.org

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
> I thought your suggestion was excellent.  Once I can get cvs access sorted
> out, I should be very grateful if you would implement it!  I do want to be
> a co-ordinator rather than write everything myself, after all!

Mais oui.

Well, it would be a paper spec and maybe an example makefile.  Here's
how I would write it.  I'm emitting it here because I'd like to get
dissenting opinions and comments.

All top level doc content directories, i.e., DDH_ROOT/manuals/tutorial/,
must contain a Makefile and an 'index.html'.

The Makefile must have a 'doc' rule which builds all documentation
(HTML, ASCII, whatever else).  Dependancies should function in this
Makefile, or else rebuilding should be forced, so that if an included
file is updated, the documentation using it is rebuilt.

The Makefile should have a 'clean' rule to rebuild documentation from
scratch.

The index.html should contain valid, relative links to supported
formats, such as HTML, ASCII, PostScript, PDF.  (Note to self: docreg
files with metadata could be automatically transformed into index.html
files!)

Basically, that's all it would take, AFAIK.  Thoughts?

Oliver, I could whip this up into a little DDP statement.  This in
conjunction with CVS setup instructions would make a nice little
"process" document.