Re: Documentation co-ordinator

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998 treacy@debian.org wrote:

[snip]
> > Our present goal is to produce some documentation to give users an
> > overview of Debian and some basic instruction in how to use it and how
> > to develop with it.  For the intimate details, users will still need to
> > use man, info, dwww and so on.  For now, I propose to work with the
> > scheme that we have inherited; anyone who has a master scheme to
> > reorganise everything is welcome to tell us about it and work it out,
> > whether privately or on the list, but we can't afford to wait for it.
> > I would like to have all the presently planned manuals ready for 2.1.
> >
> Christian did put some thought into the organization of the DDP so I
> wouldn't start changing things until you have a good reason.
> Any decisions regarding placement should take into account that the
> documentation appears in the following places:
>    within the DDP web pages
>    on the Debian web pages
>    in /usr/doc
>    under /doc on the ftp archive
> That's on top of trying to have documents that work in the following
> formats: html, txt and ps.

Let me comment on this: We once had plans to support "dynamic hyperlinks",
which are like plain HTML hyperlinks but change their target URL depending
on where the referenced document is located. For example, if document FOO
refers to document BAR, and BAR is installed locally, the link should
point to the local files, i.e. file:/usr/doc/... However, if the document
is not installed locally, the link should point to the nearest Debian
mirror on the Internet, i.e. http://www.xx.debian.org/doc/...

To make this possible, we wanted to keep the same directory structure in
all places. For example, if the manuals are all stored in /doc/<DOCID>, a
script could easily insert "file:/usr" or "http://www.debian.org"; in front
of the "/doc/<DOCID>" to get the actual URL. If the servers would use
different directory structures, you'd need some `translation tables',
which could be hard to maintain.

Just my 2 cents,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/