Re: Documentation co-ordinator

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
> Let me comment on this: We once had plans to support "dynamic hyperlinks",
> which are like plain HTML hyperlinks but change their target URL depending
> on where the referenced document is located. For example, if document FOO
> refers to document BAR, and BAR is installed locally, the link should
> point to the local files, i.e. file:/usr/doc/... However, if the document
> is not installed locally, the link should point to the nearest Debian
> mirror on the Internet, i.e. http://www.xx.debian.org/doc/...

Basically, if I understand correctly, this is URN functionality rather
than URL functionality.  We should go standards based rather than
trying to cookup and maintainer our own system.

> To make this possible, we wanted to keep the same directory structure in
> all places. For example, if the manuals are all stored in /doc/<DOCID>, a
> script could easily insert "file:/usr" or "http://www.debian.org"; in front
> of the "/doc/<DOCID>" to get the actual URL. If the servers would use
> different directory structures, you'd need some `translation tables',
> which could be hard to maintain.

Yes, exactly.  This is a goal of the metadata project; although I must
say a secondary goal right now.  Given a document "ID" of, say,
"debian-policy/index.html", it would be almost trivial to have it try
to resolve this (via stat()) as the URL
"file://localhost/usr/doc/debian-policy/index.html", then if that's
not there, go to URL
"http://www.debian.org/<somedir>/debian-policy/index.html".  And we
could setup the URN server to have overrides for particular cases.

Oliver, what this means for you, is that you should setup the DDP area
to lay out pretty similarly to how /usr/doc lays out on a debian box,
i.e.,
 <DDP_ROOT>/manuals/ (or maybe even <DDP_ROOT>/doc ?  it doesn't really matter)
                    <pkg>/<file as it would appear if installed in /usr/doc/<pkg>

I think this is going to be most intuitive for you too.  And it's nice
and flat.

> Just my 2 cents,

And I agree.  So with my 2 cents, that makes 4.