Re: Re^6: dhelp directory structure

Hi,
>>"Marco" == Marco Budde <Marco.Budde@hqsys.antar.com> writes:

Marco> Am 16.04.98 schrieb srivasta # datasync.com ... Moin Manoj!

MS> Though I have not been following the debate very closely, I do
MS> believe we should allow for packages to be cross-indexed under
MS> multiple headings.

Marco> I don#t think so, instead we should use a very good structure
Marco> that helps the user to find the needed document very easily.

	I do not think that is possible. Keep it simple; if a package
 is documented under several heading it does make it easier to
 search. Recipe books are good examples -- Soups, Broccoli and
 Broccoli, Soup is nicer that having it under oine heading or the
 other.

MS> The headings Should be chosen for maximal ease-of-use in
MS> searching, and it is concievable that a package can reasonably be
MS> classified under several such headings.

Marco> Please, don#t mix up packages with documents.

	Fine. The arguments I madfe still apply to individual documents.

Marco> A package could contain several documents and you could of
Marco> course register each document in an other directory. For some
Marco> documents it maybe makes sense to register them in more than
Marco> one diretory (see the bash man page).

	Oh Goody, you agree.

Marco> But I don#t like to register most documents in several
Marco> directories.

	Can't have it both ways. Id *does* make sense to register
 documents in multiple headings (which may or may not be implemented
 as doirectories).

Marco> If we do so, we don#t need directories. Then we
Marco> could move all documents in one directory and our user will
Marco> always find his document in the first directory.

	Things are rarely black and white. There is a matter of degree.

MS> From the human factors viewpoint, it is more important to support
MS> the index view rather than the TOC view.

Marco> I don#t think so. If you want to build an index you have to add
Marco> every HTML page of a document (like for example HOWTO.html,
Marco> HOWTO-1.html, etc.) to several directories.

	I think the inherent structure should support such
 cross-indexing. Unix file heirarchies use softlinks for
 this. External indices are nice, but I think that if the underlying
 structure reflects the inter connections of the underlying data, you
 save a lot of hassle later. It may well allow one less layer between
 the user and the information, and that is always good.

Marco> On a computer you don#t need an index any more. You could use
Marco> full text search. Most books don#t offer a good index. It#s not
Marco> easy to produce a good one.

	Oh, we are not talking about a real full fledged index here.

Marco> Take for example Windows (sorry, but Win offers a good help
Marco> system) HLP files. They#re always structured like a TOC.

	A pure top down heirarchy is not good unless the data itself
 lends itself to that; I suggest a bushier tree with an
 abundance of cross references; the more ways there are for me to
 reach the information I need the faster I am likely to find one (one
 should remember anything in excess is undesirable; so yes, it is
 possible to abuse the links mechanism. But that is no reason to
 outlaw it.)

	manoj
--
 Four be the things I'd have been better without: love, curiosity,
 freckles and doubt.  -- Dorothy Parker