Re^6: document registration policy needing to be written

Am 16.04.98 schrieb apharris # burrito.onshore.com ...

Moin Adam!

APH> I grow tired of this back and forth on the /usr/doc vs /usr/share.

Me too, but I still think that /usr/doc is the best solution. I can only
see disadvantages of your version.

APH> The status quo is to put registration files either under /usr/lib (to

Interesting. Whose status quo is it? .dhelp and .dwww-index use /usr/doc.
Most programs use ~/.<foo>. And it#s not very interesting what other
programs do, we should use the best solution and /usr/share is not the
best.

APH> be /usr/share in FHS, example: menu) or /var (example: dpkg).  If you

/var is only for files that are changed! Our file will never changed. It#s
no configuration file for the user or the admin.

APH> want to rock the boat by moving system-wide document registration
APH> files to /usr/doc, please back it up either with other people
APH> seconding you opinion (and why) or specific points from the FHS
APH> standard.

??? I don#t see any connection the FHS or menu. These#re no arguments.

cu, Marco

--
Uni: Budde@tu-harburg.de           Fido: 2:240/5202.15
Mailbox: mbudde@hqsys.antar.com    http://www.tu-harburg.de/~semb2204/