Re: Re^6: document registration policy needing to be written

On 16 Apr 1998, Marco Budde wrote:

> Am 16.04.98 schrieb apharris # burrito.onshore.com ...
>
> Moin Adam!
>
> APH> I grow tired of this back and forth on the /usr/doc vs /usr/share.
>
> Me too, but I still think that /usr/doc is the best solution. I can only
> see disadvantages of your version.
>
> APH> The status quo is to put registration files either under /usr/lib (to
>
> Interesting. Whose status quo is it? .dhelp and .dwww-index use /usr/doc.
> Most programs use ~/.<foo>. And it#s not very interesting what other
> programs do, we should use the best solution and /usr/share is not the
> best.
>
> APH> be /usr/share in FHS, example: menu) or /var (example: dpkg).  If you
>
> /var is only for files that are changed! Our file will never changed. It#s
> no configuration file for the user or the admin.
>
> APH> want to rock the boat by moving system-wide document registration
> APH> files to /usr/doc, please back it up either with other people
> APH> seconding you opinion (and why) or specific points from the FHS
> APH> standard.
>
> ??? I don#t see any connection the FHS or menu. These#re no arguments.
[snip]

/usr/doc is for _user_ _documentation_ files. The doc-base registry files
are data files for doc-base only, so these should *not* go into /usr/doc.

According to FSSTND, these files could either go into /usr/lib or into
/var/lib (see below). However, Debian will soon switch to FHS and with
that the directories would be /usr/share or /var/state. Since moving such
directories is a pain and the switch to FHS will be soon, we've decided to
use the FHS-style directories right from the start.

Now there are two options left: /usr/share or /var/state. Marco is right
that the registry files are static and thus _could_ go into /usr/share.
However, doc-base will also have a lot of dynmically generated files which
will have to go into /var/state. So the only question is whether doc-base
will store all these files in a single directory hierarchy or use two
different trees for this. I'd say this is a decision of the doc-base
maintainer.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/