Re: finally end single-person maintainership

On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 12:05:59PM +0200, Philip Hands wrote:

> >> Mandating a specific git layout is a big jump from not requiring a
> >> VCS at all.
> >
> > yes, its a big jump, but we are in 2024 and a modern workflow should be
> > expected from a modern distribution.
>
> Attempts at top-down imposition of new methods on Debian strike me as
> being unlikely to induce joy in anyone involved.
>
> After all, We're a self-selecting group of people who are prone to
> repeatedly walking the road less travelled.
>
> Do we even have a consensus on which layout is "best"?
Definitely no.
Also all of them are bad in some way, which is expected when you wrap
incompatible workflows.

> For anyone with an opinion, I'd suggest that you should try to make sure
> that DEP-14 reflects your opinion, and then work on getting people to
> adopt the use of DEP-14 and/or get DEP-14 accepted.
How do you envision this for people who are against storing upstream
sources in the repo? Having two mutually exclusive options in DEP-14?

--
WBR, wRAR