Re: Salsa - best thing in Debian in recent years? (Re: finally end single-person maintainership)

On Sun, May 19, 2024 at 08:38:58PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Sun, 19 May 2024, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Also debbugs is a special case:
> > The debbugs Debian package (as opposed to the debbugs software) have never been
> > really maintained. I am actually one of the very few users of this package
> > and I tried several times to get the maintainers to do a new upload but they
> > were clearly not interested.
>
> It's more that I'm prioritizing spending my (very) limited Debian time
> on keeping bugs.debian.org and debbugs itself working (and [very slowly]
> developing a new version of Debbugs with a more modern design in the
> hopes that others will contribute.)
>
> > Ideally debbugs should be made non-native so that some else could
> > maintain the Debian package.
>
> I'm happy to review patches that get the 2.6 branch of debbugs in shape
> where it can be released into Debian again if someone wants to take that
> effort.

But precisely, one should not need to wait for a new 'upstream release' to
fix RC bugs that prevent the package to be part of a stable release.
Making it non native would allow that without requiring more of your time.

> I've just assumed that anyone using that package was running
> unstable or running debbugs out of git.

Perforce, since the package has not been in stable or testing for years.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.