Re: About i386 support

Hi,

On Sun, 2024-05-19 at 10:30 -0500, rhys@neoquasar.org wrote:
> I have an N270 system I can use to contribute, if someone is willing
> to explain what I need to do to make it useful.

If you look at https://release.debian.org/testing/arch_qualify.html
there is at least several things that can be done:

1. Add CPU security mitigations to Linux kernel.
2. Address builds reaching address limit. There were ideas to use
foreign-arch (amd64) compilers to do so.
3. Look at other arch-specific issues (porter); this can also include
baseline violations and other issues for real i386 hardware.

It is also possible to work on finding funding and asking someone else
to do this. I've no idea how much that would cost, but let's say a few
10k USD.

Which leads to the problem: most people who want this, seem to want to
continue to use old hardware (T60, N270). However, continuing to
support i386 has likely costs much higher than the replacement cost of
said hardware... Which is probably why nobody really seems sufficiently
motivated to actually invest resources. (Or do you?)

Ansgar