Re: Comments on proposing NEW queue improvement (Re: Current NEW review process saps developer motivation

Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:

> If I look at a package and determine it's only in New due to a new
> binary package name and that means the project has prohibited me from
> looking for other issues in the package until some time later when it's
> not in New, then I feel pretty precisely like I'm prohibited from doing
> something.

I think the part that will help this make sense and make it more obvious
that such a GR would not do this is to realize that ftpmaster has a
special ability not permitted to other members of the project, namely to
delay or block the upload of a package in its entirety.

I know I'm repeating myself, but to me it's just so central to this debate
to remember that preventing packages from entering the archive is *not*
how the project normally deals with RC bugs.  There are a lot of good
reasons for why we don't normally handle RC bugs that way.  The debate is
precisely over when we want ftpmaster to exercise their special blocking
superpowers not available to any other Developer, powers that exist only
because of a delegation and are not normal Developer abilities.

Saying you cannot exercise that special ability to delay or block the
package from entering the archive, something that, for example, I have
never done or been able to do in the time that I've worked on Debian,
doesn't prohibit you from doing all the things that Debian Developers
normally do.  You can see the bug and file the bug right away; you don't
need to wait!  The point isn't to restrict what you look at as a human
being doing work; the point is to discuss when you can take a special
blocking action rather than take a normal RC bug reporting action.