Re: Comments on proposing NEW queue improvement (Re: Current NEW review process saps developer motivation

On Sunday, August 28, 2022 11:53:50 PM EDT Russ Allbery wrote:
> Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:
> > Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> wrote:
> >> I think we still want the binary package namespace checking?
> >>
> >> I.e., a GR just saying "ftpteam should not do a full
> >> licensing/copyright check for packages in binNEW".
> >>
> >> Then no software changes are required.
> >
> > I think that a GR to prohibit developers from looking for bugs is at
> > least in principle inconsistent with not hiding problems.
>
> Saying that a project delegate, acting as a delegate, should not block
> binNEW uploads for a specific sort of check that's currently mandatory is
> not at *all* the same thing as prohibiting developers from looking for
> bugs.  It doesn't do that at all.  Anyone who does ftpmaster work would
> still be able to (and encouraged to!) look for and file bugs just like any
> other developer.  If those bugs are RC, they would be treated like any
> other RC bug.
>
> But the project is entitled to override the decisions of a project
> delegate by GR if it so chooses (constitution 4.1.3), and one of the
> reasons why the project may decide to do so is if we collectively believe
> the project delegates have misjudged the trade-offs of making a particular
> process mandatory on the grounds that it catches some number of RC bugs.
> The project may, for example, decide that yes, this process catches some
> RC bugs, but the number of bugs caught are not worth the other impacts of
> that process, and the RC bugs can be dealt with via other means.

I agree the project is entitled to override delegates.

If I look at a package and determine it's only in New due to a new binary
package name and that means the project has prohibited me from looking for
other issues in the package until some time later when it's not in New, then I
feel pretty precisely like I'm prohibited from doing something.

OTOH, I suspect if this were to be project policy we'd come up with a way to
mechanize it pretty quickly so it's not an issue that's worth spending a lot
of time on.

Scott K