Re: The future of src:ntp

On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 at 20:09:18 +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> Do we really need a dummy package for upgrades to work?

Yes, we do need transitional packages.

> Can't ntpsec binary package just add Provides: ntp (=$source:Version) ?

No, apt won't automatically replace a real package "ntp" with a package
that merely Provides: ntp during upgrades.

(One way to think about this is: how would that work? If more than one
package provided ntp, which one would be correct for apt to choose, and why?)

    smcv