Re: The future of src:ntp

Marco d'Itri wrote on 18/01/2022:
> On Jan 18, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> If "ntp" the binary package would become a transitional package that
>> installs chrony, that'd be fine with me if that eases the transition.
> I am not sure that this would be practical since they cannot share the
> same configuration.
> I have no objections if somebody wants to work on packaging ntpsec, but
> I do not think that either ntp or ntpsec should be promoted over chrony
> nowadays.

But ntpsec is already packaged and actively maintained, which is why I
propose making ntp a transitional package installing ntpsec.

After all bin:ntp has always been a specific NTP implementation, I think
it's OK if it's replaced by an almost compatible fork, less OK if a
completely different implementation is brought in instead. Dropping ntp
altogether will certainly surprise some users.

Paride