Re: Bug email is not getting to me

On Sun, Sep 25, 2022 at 07:00:38PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Steven Robbins <steve@sumost.ca> writes:
> > On Sunday, September 25, 2022 4:57:19 P.M. CDT Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> If someone sends mail from a domain that says all mail from that domain
> >> will always have good DKIM signatures, and if the signature isn't
> >> present or doesn't validate the mail should be rejected, and that
> >> message is forwarded through bugs.debian.org to someone whose mail
> >> server honors DMARC settings, the mail will be rejected.  That's
> >> because the process of modifying the message in the way that
> >> bugs.debian.org needs to do (adding the bug number to the Subject
> >> header, for instance) usually breaks the signature.
>
> > So are you effectively confirming this is indeed the DMARC bug [1] filed
> > in 2014?
>
> > [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754809
>
> Yeah, that's my guess.  It's a very common problem.
>
> The right solution is probably for bugs.debian.org to rewrite all incoming
> mail to change the From header to a debian.org address (probably the bug
> address) and add a Reply-To header pointing to the original sender.  This
> is the fix that Mailman mostly uses, and it seems to work (I've had this
> problem with multiple mailing lists I run and turning on this message
> mangling has fixed it).  But of course someone has to find time to
> implement this.

Yeah, what would be nice is if it massaged the From header to
something like this:

From: Theodore Tso <NNNNNN@bugs.debian.org>

That makes things a bit friendlier for various mail user agents, while
bypassing the DKIM signature problem.  But as Russ said, the trick is
finding someone with time to implement the change in the Debian BTS...

						- Ted