Re: Bug email is not getting to me

Thanks to all who responded.  I have learned a lot!

On Sunday, September 25, 2022 4:57:19 P.M. CDT Russ Allbery wrote:

> Steven Robbins <steve@sumost.ca> writes:
> > To re-iterate: mail sent today to my debian address from outside debian
> > came through OK.  Mail sent from bugs.debian.org apparently does not.  I
> > think if there were any issue with the incoming email server (e.g. the
> > DMARC thing that Andrea Pappacoda referenced) that would affect all
> > email to me at debian, wouldn't it?
>
> No, the annoying thing about the DMARC problem is that its effect depends
> on the configuration settings of the person sending the email.

Oh!  OK.  So Adam Barratt found a log somewhere that confirms my ISP is
blocking the sender.

> If someone sends mail from a domain that says all mail from that domain
> will always have good DKIM signatures, and if the signature isn't present
> or doesn't validate the mail should be rejected, and that message is
> forwarded through bugs.debian.org to someone whose mail server honors
> DMARC settings, the mail will be rejected.  That's because the process of
> modifying the message in the way that bugs.debian.org needs to do (adding
> the bug number to the Subject header, for instance) usually breaks the
> signature.

So are you effectively confirming this is indeed the DMARC bug [1] filed in 2014?

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754809

> If you send mail from a domain that has a more relaxed (or no) DMARC
> configuration, then your mail will go through fine and you'll not see the
> problem.

Well, OK.  But I'm  the recipient not the sender so this advice is hard to
implement :-)

-Steve