Re: Automatic trimming of changelogs in binary packages

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 10:40:28AM +0300, Hakan Bayındır wrote:

> > On 14 Sep 2022, at 10:37, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 03:09:07PM +0300, Hakan Bayındır wrote:
> >> Yes, you’re right. However, my reservation is whether dpkg is more prone to
> >> breaking in disaster recovery scenarios. Reading a gzipped file is always
> >> simpler than querying a DB via more abstraction.
> >
> > Honestly though, the way to track down a regression is to read
> > /var/log/dpkg.log, not changelogs.
>
> Does /var/log/dpkg.log contain why my VPNs suddenly don’t connect or my
> daemon behaves differently after the last update? I thought they’re delivered
> through news and changelogs.

They are. And once you know which package is likely to be the culprit,
you can look at changelogs.

But in order to do that, you would have to look at which packages were
upgraded first. That's what dpkg.log helps you with.

--
     w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}

I will have a Tin-Actinium-Potassium mixture, thanks.