Re: Automatic trimming of changelogs in binary packages

Hello all,

While all looks good and feels sound from many aspects, I have some reservations against treating changelogs as metadata.

Current changelogs as files have a well known place, can be used by anything and everything, and they are local.

Stuffing them behind a command, possibly making them online only in the process will arguably make system troubleshooting and administration harder, esp. if the system has connectivity issues.

If something critical breaks, I can boot to recovery and look at the logs and changelogs of recently updated packages. Having recent-ish changelogs on the disk arguably accelerates the fixing process.

Not expanding the tools and capabilities required to do system maintenance and disaster recovery is a good target to have if you ask me.

Cheers,

Hakan