Re: Automatic trimming of changelogs in binary packages

> On 11 Sep 2022, at 14:59, Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> wrote:

>>> Assuming you are talking about making changelogs available at a dpkg
>>> command, as in the RPM world, it's actually making the way to get a
>>> package changelog more well-known, not less.
>>
>> If this created the opposite effect in RPM world w.r.t. my theory, then I stand corrected.
> It didn't create anything because that was how it worked from the
> beginning.
> But yes, it's easier to run -q --changelog than write a full file path.

While I manage RPM based systems too, I’m not that familiar with depths of RPM.

>>> I don't think removing recent-ish changelogs from the disk is proposed
>>> here.
>>
>> Again, I may have misread, then. Because what I understood is
>>
>> Trim changelogs:
>> 1. Convert them to metadata
>> 2. Ship untrimmed part in package DB
>> 3. Get remaining part from network
>>
>> Effectively eliminating /usr/share/doc/*changelog* files.
> Even this isn't "making them online only".

Yes, you’re right. However, my reservation is whether dpkg is more prone to breaking in disaster recovery scenarios. Reading a gzipped file is always simpler than querying a DB via more abstraction.

Cheers,

H.