[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Switch default from PulseAudio to PipeWire (and WirePlumber) for audio

* Dylan Aïssi <daissi@debian.org> [220914 05:57]:
> Le mer. 14 sept. 2022 à 03:08, Felipe Sateler <fsateler@debian.org> a écrit :
> >
> > Dylan, have you thought about how a transition plan would look like?
> Now, regarding the transition plan, I propose to switch right now to pipewire.
> This give us 4 months until the "transition and toolchain freeze" on
> 2023-01-12 [6]. We will also receive feedback from Ubuntu 22.10 (that is also
> doing the switch) planned to be released on 2022-10-20 [7]. Thus, we will have
> 4 months for Debian and 2 months for Ubuntu to fix the worst bugs. Then, we

In my opinion, this is a major switch that should be started at the
beginning of a release cycle, not at the end (I completely agree with
Felipe).  Four months is not long enough to get appropriate testing.

You say there are four packages that depend on PA rather than PA | PW,
and the next version of PW will conflict with PA.  That means that
unless all four of those packages are fixed before the freeze, some
users will have trouble upgrading.  Four months is quite frequently an
inadequate amount of time to coordinate a change with upstream and get
that change back into Debian, and that doesn't even include testing by
users once that change gets into Debian.

Also, keep in mind that part of the transition will be users who need to
learn a new set of tools to get their audio working.  Those with more
complicated use cases, especially mission-critical ones, are going to
need to more time to make the switch, and it may not be convenient for
them to do so in the next four months.  It's not just about getting the
software in the release.

A library transition that affects many rev-deps but is otherwise
transparent to the end user is completely different from changing the
audio stack where the end user will be required to learn a new set of
tools and configuration files/syntax.

Please continue to coordinate the changes necessary to make the
transition, but hold off on the change until after the release.


Reply to: