Re: Switch default from PulseAudio to PipeWire (and WirePlumber) for audio

Le mar. 13 sept. 2022 à 19:25, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> a écrit :

> Afaics, Dylan asked mostly if we should do the switch. He didn't give
> any personal recommendation or preference. At least that's how I read
> his initial email.

I have a basic usage of pipewire, I only listen to music and make video calls
with friends/colleagues. That is why I am not representative and cannot force
the switch (although I will be happy if it happens). Hence my suggestion to get
feedback from you. (Thanks for all of your replies!)

We still have few packages depending/recommending/suggesting only on
pulseaudio and not on either pulseaudio or pipewire-pulse [1]. I'll start
tracking them and will propose a fix right now. This is even more important
because the next pipewire-pulse package will be in conflict with the pulseaudio
package to avoid fights between both servers [2] and because it is an upstream
recommendation [3]. Currently, this is not a blocker since all the main
packages already dep/rec/sug either pulseaudio or pipewire-pulse.

The issue mentioned here regarding choppy audio in case of high CPU load and
related rtkit errors messages, should be reduced with the next pkg version.
As recommended by upstream [4], it will create a pipewire system group and set
security limits [5]. The decision remains to users to add themselves in the
pipewire group.

Le mer. 14 sept. 2022 à 03:08, Felipe Sateler <fsateler@debian.org> a écrit :

> Dylan, have you thought about how a transition plan would look like?

Now, regarding the transition plan, I propose to switch right now to pipewire.
This give us 4 months until the "transition and toolchain freeze" on
2023-01-12 [6]. We will also receive feedback from Ubuntu 22.10 (that is also
doing the switch) planned to be released on 2022-10-20 [7]. Thus, we will have
4 months for Debian and 2 months for Ubuntu to fix the worst bugs. Then, we
will re-evaluate the situation here from the first of January, this will give us
2 weeks before the freeze to switch back to pulseaudio if we have too many
unresolvable issues. Of course, this is not set in stone and we can still
switch back to pulseaudio before January if we find pipewire is not ready for
audio, but I am confident.

I will continue to propose latest pipewire/wireplumber versions in
bullseye-backports to get more feedback from users.

Dylan

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/992686
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/1013276
[3] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/FAQ#should-i-uninstall-everything-pulseaudio