Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

On Mon, 2022-04-25 at 23:48 +0300, Hakan Bayındır wrote:
> While what you’re saying is technically true, the default selection
> means much more than a default. It’s defines the stance of Debian, as
> a whole.
[...]
> So, if Option 5 is adopted, the default state is as important as the
> step itself IMHO. I also still believe that giving people the tools
> for assembling their "firmware enabled” install media is a valid
> option, but it’s not favored as far as I can see (no hard feelings,
> though).
>
> > > And we stay a possibility for FSF-people.
> > FSF people condemned Debian long ago:
> > https://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html#Debian
>
> While I like and support what FSF is standing for, I don’t think
> their “condemnation” is a valid reason for not pursuing the ideals
> DFSG puts forward. In my opinion, DFSG is one of the things underpins
> the essence of Debian, and is a force for creating a more free and
> open world. We’re almost there on the driver side, and while it gonna
> take some time, we can be there on the firmware side. We just have to
> be persistent, sometimes stubborn even.

Maybe then the "DFSG-free" installer should also exclude drivers for
devices that require non-free firmware, including preinstalled non-free
firmware? It could also show a message indicating that such devices are
not supported (if possible).

People could still assemble their "non-free firmware enabled" install
media including such drivers.

Ansgar