Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

Op 23-04-2022 om 23:30 schreef Andrey Rahmatullin:
On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 10:48:03PM +0200, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
I have an idea for an extra option:

6. Put the closed source firmware somewhere in the Debian images, but never
install closed source firmware by default. "No" should be the default.
That's the option 3 more or less.

Option 3 says to publish two sets of images.

----
3. We could stop pretending that the non-free images are unofficial, and
maybe move them alongside the normal free images so they're published
together. This would make them easier to find for people that need them, but
is likely to cause users to question why we still make any images without
firmware if they're otherwise identical.
----
If you want to drop the non-firmware image then it's the option 4 more or
less.

I see it more like option 5, with the difference that no closed source firmware or repository will be installed by default. With the non-free ISO this is the case.

For people who don't like closed source firmware, it gives the option not to install some firmware. E.g.: do I need that bluetooth adapter?

And we stay a possibility for FSF-people.

And it says nothing about defaults.
d-i defaults are mostly unrelated to the ISO set and the archive setup
questions. You seem to want to add a yet another "free vs usable, with
free as the default" question, which is not too bad, just yet another
thing for most people to change.

to put "non-free" into sources.list should also be an non-default choice,
even when you install closed source firmware.
No, that's a bad idea, which is one of the main reasons for the option 5.

The idea is not to promote closed source firmware in any way. Have it
available, but only for the people who really want it.
*shrug* that's just "have it available for most people" with extra
complexity. And you seem to miss the problem with installing firmware
packages but not enabling updates for them.
In that case the hardware will work, like how it would be if you would have the firmware on a (flash)rom on the device. You need to test the hardware only once, because the firmware will not change without special action.

Most SSD devices also have firmware, do you update that firmware?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis

https://vandervlis.nl