Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 10:48:03PM +0200, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> > > I have an idea for an extra option:
> > >
> > > 6. Put the closed source firmware somewhere in the Debian images, but never
> > > install closed source firmware by default. "No" should be the default.
> > That's the option 3 more or less.
>
> Option 3 says to publish two sets of images.
>
> ----
> 3. We could stop pretending that the non-free images are unofficial, and
> maybe move them alongside the normal free images so they're published
> together. This would make them easier to find for people that need them, but
> is likely to cause users to question why we still make any images without
> firmware if they're otherwise identical.
> ----
If you want to drop the non-firmware image then it's the option 4 more or
less.

> And it says nothing about defaults.
d-i defaults are mostly unrelated to the ISO set and the archive setup
questions. You seem to want to add a yet another "free vs usable, with
free as the default" question, which is not too bad, just yet another
thing for most people to change.

> > > to put "non-free" into sources.list should also be an non-default choice,
> > > even when you install closed source firmware.
> > No, that's a bad idea, which is one of the main reasons for the option 5.
>
> The idea is not to promote closed source firmware in any way. Have it
> available, but only for the people who really want it.
*shrug* that's just "have it available for most people" with extra
complexity. And you seem to miss the problem with installing firmware
packages but not enabling updates for them.

--
WBR, wRAR