Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

Dear developers,

if like to here an opinion from the useer side, please listen.

I made many installations of debian in the last years, mostly notebooks
preinstalled with windows. What often lacks is, that on many newer notebooks
the network card is not accessible. Either due of missing firmware or because
the network card is not included in the old installer kernel (speaking of
debian/stable).

This includes wireless and wired cards. Especially Intel, Atheros and Realtec
cards are involved in this issue.

So, if you ask me, what should be improved:

1. For installation the latest kernel should be used. Can be deinstalled after
installation.

2. All (and I mean ALL!) firmware should be available on the installer. This
means not, they should be installed. It should be installable, but must not
forcely be installed. Maybe it CAN be installed, when it is needed during the
installation.

3. Kernel developers (and that is only a suggestion!), should take care , that
"debian/stable" kernels support newest hardware.

Just my 2 cents

Best regards

Hans