Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

Quoting Andrey Rahmatullin (2022-04-19 19:49:59)

> > > [...]
> > > Then what about hardware that doesn't have soldered firmware, only
> > > loadable one? Would you not use it at all?
> >
> > I notice that you shift the conversation topic from *upgrading*
> > firmware to *introducing* firmware.
> You partially narrowed the topic to upgrading firmware in
> <[🔎] 165037188392.1708.14819384411900940205@auryn.jones.dk>, so yes, I'm
> asking about both sides of the question. I will even say that the
> situation where some perfectly usable firmware is already available on
> the device, and Debian just offers an update to it, is much less
> important (but still very important for e.g. intel-microcode) than the
> situation where the device is not usable without firmware loaded by
> Debian, which is the main usability problem with the status quo.

Ah, so your view is that newer blob might...

 * fix bugs
 * add functionality that I want

I can understand how in such a World there is no sense in avoiding newer
blobs: They are only ever improvements.

We do not share that view, though.

Quoting Ansgar (2022-04-19 19:04:36)
> Firmware shipped as packages part of stable releases will probably
> change the same way as software (i.e., security updates, other
> important updates). So there should be not much reason for such
> concern.
>
> Such concerns would be more relevant for firmware updates using other
> update channels such as `fwupd` uses.

I wonder how you can confidently know that non-free blobs packages for
Debian are only likely to be improvements, when you cannot verify their
contents.

And how is it that fwupd distributed blobs are less likely to be
reliable.  What am I missing here?

 - Jonas