Re: Keep both images but stop pretending no-free is unofficial

    Marc> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:21:10 -0600, Sam Hartman
    Marc> <hartmans@debian.org>
    Marc> wrote:
    >> One valuable suggestion was to make sure users could easily
    >> select freedom if that's what they wanted.  So I think a free
    >> installation image is important.

    Marc> Would that not be possible by having an image WITH firmware
    Marc> and an installer asking whether the user wants a free or a
    Marc> usable system?

No, not really.
Imagine that you have some constraint like the DFSG for media that you
distribute.
An image that asks whether you want to install non-free firmware
included in the image is by definition not DFSG-free, and so you could not
distributie it in such an environment.

For example I would thinki it would be entirely reasonable for someone
to want to include a version of Debian installer for use with qemu in an
environment that needed to be DFSG free.
Similarly, I think it would be reasonable for someone to want to provide
entirely free Debian media along with a libre laptop.

If providing an image that includes but does not use non-free components
is acceptable for our users, we could save ourselves a lot of time and
complexity by not repacking sources that include non-dfsg components.
We could just not use those components at least when targeting main for
binaries.