Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

On Tue, 2022-04-19 at 23:00 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Ansgar (2022-04-19 19:04:36)
> > Firmware shipped as packages part of stable releases will probably
> > change the same way as software (i.e., security updates, other
> > important updates). So there should be not much reason for such
> > concern.
> >
> > Such concerns would be more relevant for firmware updates using
> > other
> > update channels such as `fwupd` uses.
>
> I wonder how you can confidently know that non-free blobs packages
> for  Debian are only likely to be improvements, when you cannot
> verify their contents.

I did not say that.

It was a reply to "My concern is about hardware changing behavior", but
you are shifting the conversation topic to something different (reverse
engineering firmware or other things to know it only includes
improvements[1]) now?

If you care about "hardware changing behavior" due to firmware updates,
feel free to check how many firmware updates stable gets.

  [1]: And not also sometimes regressions like Debian's regular
       security or other stable updates. Or behavior changes between
       different Firefox ESR releases.

> And how is it that fwupd distributed blobs are less likely to be
> reliable.  What am I missing here?

I did not say that.

It was still a reply to the same topic as above.

Ansgar