Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

>  3. We could stop pretending that the non-free images are unofficial, and
>  maybe move them alongside the normal free images so they're published
>     together.
>     This would make them easier to find for people that need them, but is
>     likely to cause users to question why we still make any images without
>     firmware if they're otherwise identical.
>  5. We could split out the non-free firmware packages into a new
>     non-free-firmware component in the archive, and allow a specific
>     exception only to allow inclusion of those packages on our official media.
>     We would then generate only one set of official media, including those
>     non-free firmware packages.

I'd prefer a combination of those 2 + something more ...

I'd want 2 sets of images:
- One as it is now
- One with the the non-free-firmware integrated

Curious to see what the current experience would be, I went to debian.org and
saw a 'Download' link, which directed me to debian.org/download.

First: do not EVER automatically start a download without me explicitly
clicking a link to do so. I associate this behavior with malware sites and I
expected to be taken to a download page, which would present me with options.
(I prefer debian.org/distrib/ to the current 'download' page)

Now what I actually wanted to say:

On the download page, start by explaining why there are 2 sets of downloads
and present both options on that SAME page. (for some reason the idea of 2
columns with Free on the left and Free+non-free-firmware on the right sticks in
my head, but others are undoubtedly better in UX design)

Make it easy for our users to find the right medium for them while also
emphasizing the importance of Free Software (and hopefully Free firmware too).
I think making people aware is important. Only then will they hopefully ask
more often for Free firmware and/or deliberately choose hardware that is not
dependent on non-free things.

Make it clear, but not too long. Several 'Read more...' links seem like a good
idea. If it is too long, then people will just (immediately) scroll past it,
missing its goal.

I believe this has the following benefits:
- People who only want Free software can still get what they always got
- People who need non-free-firmware don't have to keep (a set of) bookmarks to
find the installation mediums they need
- While acknowledging the unfortunate necessity of non-free-firmware, we also
use this opportunity to stress the importance of Free Software (and firmware).
This will hopefully create more demand (both wrt purchases as questions to
hardware manufacturers) for free(er) things.
(I switched from NVidia to AMD GPUs because of AMD's FLOSS drivers)

Only shipping images with non-free-firmware would feel *to me* as rewarding
people distributing non-free. Just act bad long enough and people, including
Debian, will cave.

My 0.02