Re: Is removing smell from packages OK? (Was: Why? "Marked for autoremoval on 24 March due to xdelta3: #965883")

Quoting Thomas Goirand (2022-02-26 00:08:47)
> On 2/25/22 11:38, Philip Hands wrote:
> > Having looked at how it was done, I applaud Andreas for doing a
> > proper job.
>
> +1
>
> Anyone complaining about this kind of contribution to Debian is a
> moron and a barrier to progress. We really need to get rid of this
> toxic mentality in Debian.

I wonder who the fuck¹ you might be babbling about above - clearly not
the kind of "toxic" person "complaining" like this:

Quoting Jonas Smedegaard (2022-02-25 12:03:20)
> In other words, I think what was done here was a "proper NMU" (just
> not a simple one).
>

> Thanks for the NMU, Andreas,

> Jonas, I strongly disagree with using this type of example like you
> just did in this thread. In many cases, switching from long-form dh to
> short form is by the way a very nice improvement (if the result is
> obviously very minimal, as opposed to a very verbosy-for-nothing long
> form, for example). Though you've decided to take the extreme example
> when one is strongly opposed to short-form dh, because of "packaging
> style". So IMO, your reply is inappropriate, we should only give
> encouragements to Andreas, and welcome progress.

You seem to have totally missed my point.  I am very sorry that I have
failed at getting it across to you, so let me try once more...

I agree that switching from long-form dh to short-form dh is in many
(possibly all) cases a "very nice improvement".

But that is missing the point!

Point is if it is ok to remove packaging smell as part of an NMU.

It does not matter if current maintainer is strongly opposed to or
wildly in love with short-form dh.

What matters is that an NMU is work done without coordination of the
package maintainer.

Purpose of an NMU is not to make "a very nice improvement" but to make
as minimal as possible change to a package, because someone else is
maintaining that package and should be *aided* in *their* maintenance,
not coerced into doing things differently.

When Andreas asks a question We certainly should not *only* give
encouragement. We should *also* appreciate Andreas' work, but we should
try answer his question.

We should *not* welcome progress *IN AN NMU*.  Because that's the wrong
place for progress!

 - Jonas

¹ I apologize ahead to anyone feeling offended by my choice of words
there - was a minimal way for me to to let out steam for whas I perceive
as an unfounded personal attack unworthy of further elaboration but also
unacceptable for me to silently ignore.