Re: Is removing smell from packages OK? (Was: Why? "Marked for autoremoval on 24 March due to xdelta3: #965883")

Am Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 09:50:18AM +0100 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
> > Given the fact that there was a nearly 4 year old patch (#895957) made
> > me feel that I'm not alone with this but on the other hand the creator
> > of the patch (thanks Jeremy for doing at least half of the necessary
> > work) hesitated to upload his work.  This brings up again the
> > discussion about how much changes are allowed to simply remove smell
> > from packages is accepted.
>
> Do you mean to say above that "smell removal" is somehow not an NMU?!?

I simply did more than fixing the RC bug and I also did not used DELAYED
queue.

> I would certainly be frustrated if someone fast-tracked an NMU with
> structural changes like switching to short-form dh, with the reasoning
> that "the packaged had a smell to it", for a package that I maintain.

I confirm that I would not simply pick from the list of smelling
packages without good reason (I think a RC bug affecting one of my
packages is a good reason).

> I recall that we have discussed which packaging style to recommened
> someone that has no strong opinion, but I am unaware that we have
> decided that "smelly" packages are now somehow "outlawed" in the sense
> that they don't need *exactly* the same caution as any other NMU.

My point was: If I fix an RC package than I decide to remove smell
with the same upload.

Kind regards
   Andreas.

--