Re: Is removing smell from packages OK? (Was: Why? "Marked for autoremoval on 24 March due to xdelta3: #965883")

Quoting Andreas Tille (2022-02-25 09:22:38)
> Am Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 11:58:12PM +0900 schrieb Osamu Aoki:
> > > This is probably very academic now since Andreas Tille has
> > > uploaded a fixed xdelta3 package today.
> >
> > Now that I know that the new xdelta3 is uploaded, I am OK.
>
> BTW, I stumbled upon xdelta3 since also a package of mine received
> this autoremoval warning.  Usually I try to take action on it.
>
> I had to decide between a "proper NMU" and an "upload that fits the
> packaging standards I apply to what I upload" (which includes
> maintained on Salsa, usage of dh, DEP5 copyright ... basically
> removing the smell from the package).  I decided for the latter but at
> the same time I was aware that I violated the rules we gave given each
> other.
>
> Given the fact that there was a nearly 4 year old patch (#895957) made
> me feel that I'm not alone with this but on the other hand the creator
> of the patch (thanks Jeremy for doing at least half of the necessary
> work) hesitated to upload his work.  This brings up again the
> discussion about how much changes are allowed to simply remove smell
> from packages is accepted.

Do you mean to say above that "smell removal" is somehow not an NMU?!?

Seems to me that these change simply fit this

> fixes for trivial bugs that block a transition, [where] it is
> desirable that the fixed package reaches unstable sooner [than 10
> days].

as written at
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu

I would certainly be frustrated if someone fast-tracked an NMU with
structural changes like switching to short-form dh, with the reasoning
that "the packaged had a smell to it", for a package that I maintain.

I recall that we have discussed which packaging style to recommened
someone that has no strong opinion, but I am unaware that we have
decided that "smelly" packages are now somehow "outlawed" in the sense
that they don't need *exactly* the same caution as any other NMU.

 - Jonas