Re: ARM architectures

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 10:50:20 +0200, Christoph Biedl
<debian.axhn@manchmal.in-ulm.de> wrote:
>Marc Haber wrote...
>> I'd still consider the Raspberry Pi. It's unfortunate that the binary
>> non-free blob is already needed to boot the box even if one doesn't
>> need/use the GPU after booting, but it is reasonably common that
>> people care about their software on the platform, and it's also
>> affordable and has versions with enough RAM available.
>
>Another point here: Since so many people use it, there's a good chance
>even seldom-occurring hardware flaws will be found and eventually worked
>around. An effect we saw some two decades ago with the cheap-but-
>horrible rtl8139 network adapters.
>
>For me, the biggest downside of the RPi4 is the need for an extra power
>plug as they take up to three amps - while for example a BananaPi can be
>powered using some unused USB (<= 3.0) port.

Mine run via PoE very nicely. The hat kind of destroys the form factor
though and it runs warm.

>For CPU-hungry tasks (package building) I've switched from a CubieTruck
>to an RPi4 a few months ago and the performance boost was mindblowing.

My Raspi Kernels are being cross-built. Wasn't it you who taught me
to? I haven't advanced to package cross-building yet.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |