Re: ARM architectures

Marc Haber wrote...

> On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 10:50:20 +0200, Christoph Biedl
> <debian.axhn@manchmal.in-ulm.de> wrote:

> >For me, the biggest downside of the RPi4 is the need for an extra power
> >plug as they take up to three amps - while for example a BananaPi can be
> >powered using some unused USB (<= 3.0) port.
>
> Mine run via PoE very nicely. The hat kind of destroys the form factor
> though and it runs warm.

Good to know, but not always an option in my situations.

> >For CPU-hungry tasks (package building) I've switched from a CubieTruck
> >to an RPi4 a few months ago and the performance boost was mindblowing.
>
> My Raspi Kernels are being cross-built. Wasn't it you who taught me
> to? I haven't advanced to package cross-building yet.

Possibly, and I still cross-build the kernels today, including doing nasty
things like

    dh_gencontrol -DArchitecture=armel (...)

that might some people make kick me off the Debian boat. Luckily, none
of this is public.

For any other package (personal, private backports, modified packages)
I've switched to native building a long time ago. At least using the
qemu-user-static binaries caused a lot of trouble, especially if
threading was involved. Also the emulation overhead resulted in build
times close to doing it on (slower) native hardware. I guess the
situation has improved in the past years, at least mixing endianesses
should no longer triggers instant segfaults from ld (never checked), but
I've lost trust in the entire idea.

    Christoph