Re: WNPP/ITP/... for Amazon SDK for C++ ?

Hi Dirk,

On Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 08:10:50AM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> My (very informal) packaging has always been in the open (but on GitHub). A
> possible first step might be to review the added files in debian/ and in a
> first pass edit out all references to 'informal' or 'unofficial' packaging
> and making them more official in the cloud team repo -- which I presume is on
> salsa?  If you or others want to look, I have this currently at github.com in
>
>      eddelbuettel/pkg-aws-c-common             common C layer
>      eddelbuettel/pkg-aws-checksums            checksum for transport
>      eddelbuettel/pkg-aws-c-event-stream       another C layer
>      eddelbuettel/pkg-aws-sdk-cpp-only-s3      C++ SDK subset for S3

I did some work on aws-c-common & aws-c-event-stream from a PoC of packaging
for awscli v2.  Details are in #966573, message 43 [1].

So far, I haven't uploaded any of this.  The AWS SDK now requires their own
crypto & tls implementations.  The cloud team discussed this a while back, no
one found that responsibility very attractive.  Still, we'll want awscli v2
eventually.

> The last repo is the one that is 'incomplete' as I skipped everything not
> need by my use case of accessing s3 programmatically from other C++ code.
> >From a casual look at another C++ project I noticed that it had the same
> subset so this may make sense.  It would allow us to proceed and start with
> the subset and add as needed (as opposed to be overwhelmed by 'all of it').

I'd be worried about confusing users who expect to have the whole SDK
available.  But as long as the packages only ship static libraries, I don't see
how it would cause actual issues.

Ross

[1] - https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=966573#43