Re: WNPP/ITP/... for Amazon SDK for C++ ?

Hi Noah,

On 26 December 2021 at 20:18, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
| On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 06:08:56PM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > I have a package that could take advantage of this if it were packaged, and I
| > am sure a number of other packages are in a similar situation given how
| > pervasive AWS use is. So does anybody know where this is at?
| >
| > FWIW I have packaged _subsets_ of the C++ SDK informally for my own use (also
| > at Launchpad) but I don't think I have the time and energy to take this on as
| > another package.
|
| The cloud-team could probably be a reasonable umbrella under which the
| package could be co-maintained.  Would you be interested in
| co-maintaining it as part of that team?  I'm not sure any of us have a
| lot of expertise or desire to work with C++, but we've got a lot of
| familiarity with cloud services, etc, and maintain other cloud service
| SDKs.  If you can contribute on the C++ side, we could probably
| effectively maintain the package together.

That could work.  Would you be amenable to the subset packaging I have done
(as opposed to grabbing all of the (rather large) SDK at GitHub) ?

My (very informal) packaging has always been in the open (but on GitHub). A
possible first step might be to review the added files in debian/ and in a
first pass edit out all references to 'informal' or 'unofficial' packaging
and making them more official in the cloud team repo -- which I presume is on
salsa?  If you or others want to look, I have this currently at github.com in

     eddelbuettel/pkg-aws-c-common             common C layer
     eddelbuettel/pkg-aws-checksums            checksum for transport
     eddelbuettel/pkg-aws-c-event-stream       another C layer
     eddelbuettel/pkg-aws-sdk-cpp-only-s3      C++ SDK subset for S3

The last repo is the one that is 'incomplete' as I skipped everything not
need by my use case of accessing s3 programmatically from other C++ code.
>From a casual look at another C++ project I noticed that it had the same
subset so this may make sense.  It would allow us to proceed and start with
the subset and add as needed (as opposed to be overwhelmed by 'all of it').

Now, these are also not current as I packaged 'when I needed them' / 'when a
change happened'. Upstream releases something every few days which we may or
may not want to keep track of.

I have however built them a few times over via launchpad for amd64. I do not
know how they would fare on less common architectures.  At least the checksum
repo has IIRC some assembler code specific to the common platforms.  Is that
aspect something the cloud team had to deal with for other SDKs?

| Of course, if others are already looking into packaging, they should by
| all means continue, with or without coordinating with the cloud-team.

Fully agreed.  But if nobody steps forward this may be a viable addition.

Cheers, Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org